About me

This blog is created by a Buddhist living in Singapore. He embraces the Mahayana spirit of Bodhicitta, deeply respecting all Buddhist Traditions as expressions of Kindness guiding us on the path towards human perfection ~ Buddhahood.

He likes to post stuff that he had read or think is good to share here, sometimes he adds a little comments here and there... just sometimes..

ひらめき電球 Contact Me

Labels


“Sariputra, if there are people who have already made the vow, who now make the vow, or who are about to make the vow, ‘I desire to be born in Amitabha’s country,’ these people, whether born in the past, now being born, or to be born in the future, all will irreversibly attain to anuttarasamyaksambodhi. Therefore, Sariputra, all good men and good women, if they are among those who have faith, should make the vow, ‘I will be born in that country.’”

~ Amitabha Sutra

When I obtain the Buddhahood, any being of the boundless and inconceivable Buddha-worlds of the ten quarters whose body if be touched by the rays of my splendour should not make his body and mind gentle and peaceful, in such a state that he is far more sublime than the gods and men, then may I not attain the enlightenment.

~ Amitabha Buddha's Thirty-Third Vow

Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Work - Bryon Katie

These days I've been reading Bryon Katie's The Work. One of the 1st things I notice when I entered her website was her mention of 'God'. 1st thought that comes to me was, 'oh this is a Christian site.' I put aside this thought and read further, and I discover a gem. Due to religious and cultural differences, she mentions God quite a bit in her work. However, she defines God as 'reality', and not the 'creator' which is the common context known. Hence, I find her work enhancing for practitioners of all religions and free thinkers alike.

While reading her work, I freely interpret or substitute her 'God' with Buddhist terms of Buddha, condition arising, cause and effect, etc. I also take her work with a pinch of salt, trying out her inquiry method to understand my thoughts (its delusive nature) as well as my 'self' better. What I thought about others, how I judge them... Really is a reflection of myself. I believe my thoughts, as if it is the truth, I defend it as if it is a part of me. How foolish! :)

Introduction to The Work
An Excerpt from Loving What Is

Her work doesn't teach us Bodhicitta and other Shantideva goodness, so please don't expect to attain ultimate liberation, enlightenment or Buddhahood from practising The Work. These new age psychology works are brilliant, works very well for modern context and problems. Actually I find The Work works so well in clearing our troubles that there might be even danger to mistake it as a replacement for practising the Dharma. Let's not forget to resolve the root of 'suffering' in this cyclic existence of rebirth. There's no shortcut for it, Four Noble Truths, Eightfold Path is the Way. If there's a shortcut Buddha would have compassionately taught us. (The following reminder is for myself: collect as many teachings, mantras, (MP3s, animes, TV series, money, books, knowledge, news, hmm what else..) and methods as you may, when death suddenly appears in front of you, nothing can save you from the messengers of Death! Triple Gems, my true refuge of fearlessness.)

The Work is a nice read and practice to watch and inquire our thoughts. I also find The Work helpful in explaining Dharma to beginners or non-buddhists by applying the simple framework lovingly shared by Katie.



Here's some quotes that I like... Taken from her book, 'Losing the Moon'

Wanting keeps me from the awareness.
I already have it.
I already am it.


Acceptance is the sweetest word -
it means aligning with what is -
That's all.


We can only have what we let go of.


Our story about form attracts or repulses.


There's nothing that comes through
that I don't adore
a cough
a sneeze
a breath
you.
It's all me!


The worst thing that has ever happened on this planet
is to attach to a concept
Nothing else has ever really happened.


Reality is much kinder
than thoughts about reality.


Except for the story
There's no reality to it -
Ever!


Every thought is about body identification
Every thought is about "I" -
Survival - comfort - pleasure.


The amount you attach to your story
indicates the amount you can let go -
The duality is equal.


This moment.
The presence of this moment.
Only that.
Who am I without my beliefs?
Now. Now. Now.


You don't lose the moon.
You lose it to get it.
You are the moon already.
Lose the story of the moon
and know.


Your story is your existence.


--------------------------------------
This is a nice contribution, I want to share my reflections and experiences too!

++++++++++++++++++
Technorati:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your views on the post...